The beginnings of what would become Club Savoy date back to the early 1950’s, when Domenic DeFazio saw the need to provide a place for the local Italian community to socialise, that had the familiarity of their home country. Mr DeFazio spent considerable time and effort planning the club, including visiting other Italian Clubs around the country to get ideas.
In 1955 Mr DeFazio and his wife Rosa, had the funds to build what was then known as Continental House, on the site now occupied by Club Savoy. The 60 foot square building took £20,000 and two years to complete, with Watson and Smith of Myrtleford being the principle contractors. Shortly after in 1956 the first committee was formed under President Luigi Roso.
While it is unknown when the name Savoy was first chosen it is believed to be early in the club’s development around 1960. At this time the club was known as the Myrtleford Savoy Sporting Club. In 1964 a liquor licence was applied for and granted, making us the first Victorian club to receive a licence.
The club struggled financially for some years, but in 1978 took the considerable step of purchasing the building from the DeFazio’s for $80,000. The facilities at that time included an indoor bocce area with four courts.
In 1995 the club received a mural painted by Paola Demanicor in the foyer and a sun dial painted by Andrea Tomaselli, at a ceremony officially opened by the Hon. Lou Lieberman MP.
While the original vision for the club was to provide a place for the local Italian community to congregate, over it’s history the club has opened it’s doors to all sections of the Myrtleford community, with members now coming from all backgrounds.
With a name change, the introduction of a rewards program and more exciting developments in the pipeline, Club Savoy is looking forward to a bright future.